Sunday, July 26, 2009

Weekly update

This past week we went to many fun places again. On Monday night we went with the Wood family to a mini-golf/go-cart place. At first we were the only ones on the golf course so things were good...but then as more people started coming it was hard to keep Grant away from their balls. He didn't understand why he could pick up our golf balls but not stranger's golf balls. He did really good until about the 10th hole...after that everyone got a chance to hear how strong Grant's lungs are. The video from the golf/cart outing is below. Too bad I didn't get any pictures of Carrie or myself (or Audrey).

Then on Wednesday we went to another discovery museum. Grant had tons of fun again. That same afternoon Grant decided he didn't need a nap so we made a last minute trip to the city pool for an hour. Sorry no pictures from the pool.

Grant is into trains now. He plays with his train set all the time. He has even started lining up other toys to look like a train.

Oh and one other thing happened this week...as some of you know I said I was going to run a 5K....well that was on Saturday. I picked up a entry form for this 5k about 3 weeks ago and thought "I should do this". So I started "training" at the gym on the treadmill - working my way up to running 3.1 miles. For those who know me you know I'm not a big fan of jogging.....but I continued. Saturday morning I woke up trying to figure out a way to get out of this commitment but no luck. So off to the race I went. As I lined up with the runners I could tell there were some "real" runners and then there was the rest of us. The sponsor of the race was nice enough to mark each 1/4 mile so you knew where you were during the race. As I pasted the first 1/4 mile sign I remember thinking to myself "what the heck were you thinking signing up for this?" But I still had more than 2 miles to go...so I continued. At the 1/2 mile mark I saw this older lady in front of me and for motivation I said "I'm going to pass that old lady"....well just about then I hit the first hill....and there were no hills on my training course....so I just watched the old lady drift out of view....and I then thought to myself "run Grandma run". As I was running the last 1/2 mile I was disappointed as I though I wouldn't make my goal - which was to run the 5k in under 32 minutes. But I guess running downhill helps your time as I finished the race in 30 minutes 55 seconds. Crazy as it may sound I just might do this again in a couple weeks. I must be going through a mid-life crisis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been wanting to do that too. Maybe I will join you next time. What race are you doing?

Kerri said...

Strong work on running the 5k...We need to meet at the temple some time!

Unknown said...

That is awesome, good for you!!

Julie said...

I'm so impressed Melissa! Especially since I know how you feel about running!

Carrie Wood said...

Ya, I can't believe you didn't get any pics of me nursing or of me hitting the ball like 7 times to get it in the hole!
We had tons of fun that night; thanks for taking the pictures and video.
And as for the 5K, I seriously am impressed. I'd like to come on the next one, too, but I may slow you down.